Monday, November 17, 2014

11 Reasons Why I am Thankful for Thanksgiving

Senior year of high school, I could not wait to leave for college. Senior year of college, I can't wait to go home. As much as I have loved my time at the University of Georgia, I have grown to cherish the rare times I get to go back to my northern roots in Ohio. Especially for us out-of-staters, the week of Thanksgiving brings a lot to be thankful for.  

1. Nothing tops Northern Fall.
Nothing. November is absolutely beautiful up there. Until the winter blizzards and below-freezing weather hits for three months - then I am eternally grateful to go back south. 

2. My dog. 
One of the worst parts about leaving for college is the fact that I can only see my dog four times a year. You can't text your dog like you can text your parents (even if your parents are extremely sub-par texters). Therefore, I am prompted to make the most out of our short time. Unfortunately for Bailey, that involves dressing up. 

3. Rooting on your hometown team with people that actually care.
I have run into a grand total of 2 fellow Cincinnati Bengals fans in the south. I have to go to extreme and creative measures in order to get friends to watch the games with me, so nothing is more refreshing than going out to watch at home with true (and willing) fans. Who knew the sound of old men slamming their fists and beers would be so comforting? Who dey. 

4. The local Turkey Trot
Because you are secretly dying to know which of your high school friends are still in shape enough to complete this annual run. 

5. Realizing just how small your town is.
You would think that after leaving town for 4 years, you lose track of the people still there. Not the case. I can't go anywhere without running into an old teacher, classmate, friend's parent, etc. There is something nostalgic and heartwarming about reconnecting with the ones who have known you since childhood. The longer I am away, the smaller it seems to get. 

6. The Mirror Lake Jump
Which I am still yet to complete, but promise myself each year that this is the year. Perhaps the most insane college tradition (regardless of snow or below-freezing temperatures, thousands of college kids WILL jump), but what else can be expected from a rivalry as rich as Ohio State v. Michigan?

7. Old friends are the dearest friends.
The biggest downfall of attending an SEC school is the awful separation from my hometown friends... the friends I have had since sixth grade who will remain my best friends for the rest of my life. Distance genuinely sucks, but it has made me realize how special they are. When I come back for break, it's as if nothing has changed at all, and we can carry on right where we left off.

8. Sleeping in your Childhood Bed
Nostalgia at an all time high. Waking up in your childhood home is a warm feeling, especially when parents are there to provide coffee, eggs, and pancakes. 

9. Black Friday Shopping 
I fall into the category of the crazy souls that wake up at an ungodly hour to participate in Black Friday. I knowingly put myself at risk, (Fact: more people die from Black Friday shopping than from shark attacks) but I do it for tradition instead the deals. My mom and I have gone every year since I was in middle school. The event has created a bonding experience over the past 9 years that no one except my mother and I can share. 

Plus I usually manage to get a few pairs of shoes each year...don't mind that.

10. Family 
If there has been anything in my life I have taken for granted, it has been my family. After years of teenage bickering and (frankly) being a diva, I have grown to realize how awesome and supportive they have been this whole time. I have even grown to love their company (which is a far stride away from the girl who wouldn't take them out in public). This gratitude extends from my immediate family out to all of my grandparents, cousins, uncles, and aunts. There is nothing more special than sharing life and a meal with them. 

11. Feasts on feasts. 
No commentary needed, but duh.


No comments:

Post a Comment